Tuesday, March 21, 2017

Mommy! Something is killing Cherry!

A gut wrenching report from a friend:

My cousin and I, along with her son (16 years old), my 12 and 5 year old, came home from dinner at approximately 6:00pm Friday.

My oldest daughter, who had just gotten home from work and let the dogs out, was in the front yard; frantic and begging for help!

"Something is attacking our dog, Mommy! Something is killing Cherry!"

I went to the backyard to discover two pitbulls have broken through a panel in the fence. The two pitbulls have dragged our border collie onto the other side and are mauling her to death.


Horrific attack 

Video of the attack was captured by my oldest daughter. Me and my cousin, along with my three daughters are begging for help. The next door neighbors come to our aid. One of them throws bricks at the pitbulls. However, they continue attacking our helpless dog; now laying on her side.

My 19 year old daughter called 911. Me and my cousin, who just arrived from Austin, were frantically searching for something to separate the pitbulls from our border collie.


The pit bulls broke the fence to get to Cherry

In order to protect my dog, family, children and neighbors, I grabbed a large knife from my kitchen, and jumped the fence (as my family begged me not to), and as I approached Cherry, the black pitbull began to walk towards me. I stabbed the pitbull.


A desperate attempt to save Cherry

Although severely injured from the attacks, my border collie was able to stand up and walk away, but the white pitbull followed her.


The injured black pitbull began walking the fence line and the white one trailed behind. Still fearful that the dogs were going to attack the kids, I followed them. The white pitbull turned and lunged at me, so I stabbed it.

My cousin and neighbor stayed with Cherry. My neighbor pulled his jeep behind the fence along the pipeline and loaded her up to transport her to the vet, but she died in my cousins lap on the way.

My children, ages 12 and 5, witnessed the brutal attack on our dog.


Cherry, in happier times

Animal control came by Saturday morning to take statement and pictures of fence. They also stopped at the owners home to ensure the surviving, yet severely injured pitbull had been put down. The owner had taken it to the 24 hour ER Vet on Friday to have it euthanized.

The owners have offered to pay for all damages; cremation of Cherry, damaged fence, and cost of replacing Cherry. Which, makes me wonder whether or not they're trying to keep their Homeowners Insurance in the dark about this. To my knowledge, only two insurance companies in Texas will cover a homeowner if they are owners of a pitbull or pitbull mixed breed. Those insurance companies are Farmers and USAA.

The owners of the pitbulls also stated that they had "never seen that side of their dogs before." However, their dogs were involved in two incidents that I'm aware of. 

Two years ago, their pitbulls chased me and our border collie after breaking through a screened window in their owners home.

I have to wonder how many more incidents there were.


Rest in peace, sweet girl

This is not an isolated incident. Every single day, dozens of innocent pets and farm animals are brutally killed by pit bulls. A tiny fraction of these attacks are reported. Some brave souls attempt to cover this topic but it is an emotionally draining effort, and most can not keep it up for too long.

Facebook group dealing with the topic: Our pets were killed by pit bulls

3 comments:

  1. I would be taking these lying douchebags to court for the cost of psychiatric counseling for the traumatized children.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is emotionally draining to bring it up. Fortunately, there are more and more of people to work on this every day...more people that know what pit bulls are capable of because their pets or family members have been mauled or killed.

    As a group, we can keep working on this together. You are not alone.

    ReplyDelete

Comments accepted only on current articles.

In order to keep the signal to noise ratio within reasonable limits, we reserve the right not to publish any comments deemed inflammatory, repetitious, inane, comments which contribute nothing other than drama, or comments which appear to be a copy and paste of talking points that have no discernible connection to the article at hand.

Note: If there is no apparent means of emailing you for clarification or follow-up, don't expect your comments to be published.