Sunday, October 1, 2017

RIP sweet Bella



On August 26, 2017, around 7:30/8:00 a.m., my 10 year old Chihuahua Pomeranian mix, Bella, was tragically mauled to death by a Pitbull at large. The Pitbull attacked Bella and would not let her go despite numerous attempts by myself and my neighbour to try and release Bella from the Pitbull's grasp.


The Pitbull would just re-lunge and bite harder and could not care less that we were yelling and pulling and hitting and trying to release its jaw off of Bella. The Pitbull chewed on Bella for half an hour and made her suffer tremendously. There obviously was no muzzle and there was no collar or leash on the Pitbull.
Animal Protective Services is in the midst of an investigation and are determining whether the Pitbull should be euthanized and whether charges should be laid against the owner. I will be pursuing legal action against the owner as well, as Bella suffered tremendously, the Pitbull was not contained properly, the Pitbull was at large, the Pitbull entered my yard and attacked, and I am suffering tremendously, as are others who witnessed the devastating scene.

I have had Bella for ten years. She was always at my side, always on my lap, and always slept with me. To have someone at your side for ten years makes a huge impact on your life and on your heart. To see Bella suffer the way she did, to hear her yelps and cries, to see her eyes in terror and to be able to do nothing is beyond traumatizing. Every day I think about how much pain she must have been in, how scared she must have been, and how I was completely helpless in saving her or stopping the Pitbull from hurting her more. I feel like the worst mother for not protecting her, and the guilt is killing me. I replay the memory of this incident over and over and over again in my head and I cannot stop crying for how she left this world.

I was bitten in the process of trying to rescue Bella and had to get a tetanus shot, as well as antibiotics to stop any infection due to the bacteria in the Pitbull's mouth. I had to do this the morning of the incident. I also had to go to the Humane Society to discuss cremation the morning of the incident. I could not stay home and grieve.

I have two young children (one aged 5 and one aged 1). My 5 year old is suffering. I also have another dog, Luna (Lab/Shepherd), who is suffering. Luna does not eat much anymore and she mopes around the house with her tail between her legs. She was outside during the attack. I am not sure how much she saw. She will not leave my side now and seems extra timid.

Whenever I see a smaller breed dog, I cry. Whenever I see a Pitbull, I cry. I am terrified that this will happen to me again, and to others.

I am part of a Facebook Group - "Our dogs were attacked by Pitbulls" - and Pitbulls attack daily. It is an epidemic. The statistics are unbelievable. Pitbulls rank highest on the totem pole for maulings against other animals and against people. I am aware that other dogs attack, but the statistics show Pitbulls rank the highest, at a whopping 70% of maulings. The other 30% is all other breeds combined. Pitbulls may not be the most aggressive; I am aware that Chihuahuas are an aggressive breed, but a Chihuahua cannot kill; a Pitbull can! I am also aware that not all Pitbulls kill or attack. However, 1 in 40 does. How are we allowing this 1 in 40? Why are we not protecting other animals and ourselves???

There is a reason they are banning Pitbulls in parts of the world. But, those Pitbulls are coming here! The statistics are just growing and growing. Most Pitbull attacks against humans are on their own family members. Obviously loving them and raising them does not make a difference. Pitbulls have an instinct and you cannot take that instinct out of the Pitbull. Most Pitbulls will not act on these instincts, but 1 in 40 will! Again, how are we allowing this 1 in 40??? I think, if you want to own a Pitbull, it is at your discretion and you take the risk. But why should everyone else??? Why should we be scared to take our own dogs out for a walk, let our dogs out into our yard, and be scared for our own well-being?

I believe strongly in Breed Specific Legislation. Why is it so difficult and so hard to force a muzzle on certain breeds? I have a Lab/Shepherd. I know she is a very loving dog and I do not worry for one second that she would ever attack or hurt someone. However, I would put a muzzle on her if it means protecting me and my family, including my pets, from potential breeds that have an instinct they can act on. I would also put a muzzle on her if it means others would feel safe around my dog. I would follow the rules under this Legislation and I think this Legislation needs to come into effect now!!! I need justice for my Bella and every other animal and person that has ever been hurt by a Pitbull!!! Justice needs to be had, and we need to be protected now!

What is the reason for not allowing this??? I would love to hear your insight as to how it would hurt certain breeds to wear a muzzle. I would love to hear how this is such an inconvenience. I would love to hear how wearing a muzzle is too much trouble and too much effort, even if it means saving ourselves and our animals from potential attacks and killings. Why is the Pitbull coming first, over other animals and over ourselves?????

Yours truly,
Leigh-Anne Kane

4 comments:

  1. When pit bulls attack, it's a waste of time to try and get them to release or stop. At that point do your best to kill the damn thing by whatever means necessary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed - trying to get the pit bull to release only wastes time and increases the victims suffering. The only real solution is to inflict massive trauma on the torturer, as quickly as possible, to grant the victim relief and a chance to survive.

      Delete
  2. This makes me want to carry a big knife when I walk my dog. So sad. I have a story to share about a pitbull attack on a small dog my husband protected from serious danger. I'd like to join that group if it's still active.

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://www.animals24-7.org/2018/01/17/pit-bull-roulette-killed-38000-other-animals-in-2017/

    ReplyDelete

Comments accepted only on current articles.

In order to keep the signal to noise ratio within reasonable limits, we reserve the right not to publish any comments deemed inflammatory, repetitious, inane, comments which contribute nothing other than drama, or comments which appear to be a copy and paste of talking points that have no discernible connection to the article at hand.

Note: If there is no apparent means of emailing you for clarification or follow-up, don't expect your comments to be published.