Thursday, June 19, 2014

A close escape

The number of innocent animals mauled by pit bulls is simply heartbreaking. It's a welcome reprieve when a beloved animal companion survives such an attack. Here is one victim who survived.

It has been a year since my Yorkiepoo, Colette, was attacked by an unleashed bully breed dog. I'll never forget her screams while she was being attacked.




The attack was awful, but could have been much worse. I was walking my Yorkiepoo and Jack Russell terrier when two unleashed bully breeds (one American Bulldog and one Pit Bull) came at us. Luckily, the pit bull and my JRT just stood there, but the American Bulldog savagely attacked. I keep reminding myself that I was fortunate that Colette wasn't hurt worse (or killed), that the second dog didn't attack, that my JRT wasn't attacked and that my injuries were minimal. but it makes me hesitant to walk in a very nice neighborhood.

A recent picture of Colette.

Note - out of all canine attacks on animals, pit bulls appear to have committed no less than 95% of such attacks, an unprecedented level of violent aggression, but one which can be accounted for by the specific purposes for which pit bull type dogs were developed, and the specific resulting traits which define their genetic imperative.

See the study How many animals do pit bulls kill? for more information.



4 comments:

  1. Congrats on the survival of your baby. I encourage everyone with a beloved animal companion to prepare for the unpleasant possibility of a pit bull attack. I don't walk my dog without some type of deadly weapon, and the determination to use it if my dog becomes the target of a land shark.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! She is a survivor, but I was terrified at the time that it would be the end of her. Now I walk closer to my house and carry a tote of 'goodies' for defense.

      Delete
  2. this is a perfect example of why we need to stop regulating by breed. a wider gripping dog TYPE net needs to be deployed.

    lucky for you that pit bull was cold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really was very fortunate, though I didn't feel that way at the time. But the outcome could have been MUCH worse.

      Delete

Comments accepted only on current articles.

In order to keep the signal to noise ratio within reasonable limits, we reserve the right not to publish any comments deemed inflammatory, repetitious, inane, comments which contribute nothing other than drama, or comments which appear to be a copy and paste of talking points that have no discernible connection to the article at hand.

Note: If there is no apparent means of emailing you for clarification or follow-up, don't expect your comments to be published.